“This whole thing is a travesty,” says NDP Ethics Critic Nathan Cullen.
The Trudeau Government has announced Mario Dion as their pick for the new Ethics Commissioner to replace Mary Dawson.
Dawson’s term ends on January 8, 2017.
The announcement was made by Bardish Chagger.
Dion is a long-time government bureaucrat, having previously been commissioner of public sector integrity, and chair of the immigration & refugee board.
There is lots of attention on the Ethics Commissioner post, as Dawson is currently investigating both Justin Trudeau and Bill Moneybags Morneau.
When her term ends in early 2018, it will be up to the new commissioner to decide whether to continue those investigations – if Dawson hasn’t completed them by then, and there is concern that the Trudeau government will seek to have the investigations dropped.
Cullen rips “totally broken” process
Nathan Cullen – the NDP Ethics Critic – ripped the way Dion was put forth by the Trudeau government.
According to reports, while the government is supposed to consult with Parliament on the decision, Cullen says they just sent a letter informing the opposition of Dion’s selection, “then said we’d been consulted.”
Obviously, that’s not consultation.
Cullen said the government had ample time to have real consultation considering they’ve known Dawson would be leaving for a year and a half: “The government has known about this for more than 18 months, they waited until the last minute. This process is totally broken.”
“This is a sham,” added Cullen, and he is 100% correct.
The Trudeau government didn’t consult. They wanted to ram their own choice through regardless of what anyone else thought, and that doesn’t bode well for the hope of Canadians to get the truth in the ongoing investigations into Trudeau & Moneybags.
Photos – Twitter/YouTube